thermal stick directions
Thermal Stick Directions
To turn a design into a patch or appliqué:
- Trace the outline of the trimmed design on the back of the release sheet. *Remember that you need to trace or draw the reverse of the image.
- Cut out the shape along the outline.
- Using a medium temperature iron, fuse the shiny side (not the release paper) to the backside of the embroidery. The iron should not be set on steam, and you will need to use between 3 and 6 seconds of dwell time for a good bond.
- Once it has cooled, peel the release paper from the back of the embroidery design exposing the sticky side.
- Position the embroidery on the garment and press into place. Using a press cloth to protect your embroidery, press from the appliqué side and underneath the fabric/garment for a secure bond. Finish by stitching around the
- embroidery with a satin or straight stitch.
How To Make Appliqué Using Thermal Stick
- Trace the design to be appliquéd onto the protective paper sheet of Thermal Stick.
- Trim around the image leaving at least ¼-inch border around the outside.
- Fuse Thermal Stick to the wrong side of the decorative fabric using a medium to high temperature setting on your
- iron. Fuse for 3 to 6 seconds without using steam. The fusible side of Thermal Stick is the soft, shiny side. Hold
- the iron in place for at least 3 seconds and then flip the piece over and press again on the fabric side.
- Once cooled, cut out the appliqué design along your trace lines.
- Peel back the protective sheet to expose the sticky surface. Let the appliqué cool before removing the paper.
- Position the appliqué piece on the garment and press into place. Press on the appliqué side and the fabric side for
- maximum bonding. Finish by stitching around the appliqué with a satin or decorative stitch or any running stitch.
Tip: Pre-washing your materials prior to using them for appliqué can allow for a more secure bond.
Test all materials and procedures thoroughly before applying to a finished garment.